HELLO JULY 2018
It’s SUMMER! and for once we’ve had some sunshine in Blighty!!!! Everything is better when it’s sunny, everyone smiles more when it’s sunny, everyone’s happier when it’s sunny! I adore travelling abroad but our wonderful country has some of the most beautiful places and scenery on earth, if only we had better weather a bit more often. There’s just nothing better than a Sunday morning spent having a coffee outside or a BBQ with family and friends on a sunny Sunday afternoon and I only wish we could do it more often. However, whilst we have this glorious weather we must make the most of every minute, which my family & I certainly are!!!
FABULOUS THINGS THAT HAPPENED LAST MONTH
- My amazing parents Golden Wedding Anniversary- what a special two weekends
- A gorgeous weekend away in a beautiful cottage in North Yorkshire with all the family for my parents Golden Wedding Anniversary- you can’t put a price on wonderful quality family time
- My mum & dads fabulous Golden Wedding party at 315-an amazing day spent with close friends and family
- Seeing my mum & dads faces when we gave them their gifts-priceless!
- Launching a new side business. More about that later!
- A gorgeous morning spent at the award winning EastThorpe Spa in Mirfield West Yorkshire
LIFESTYLE, LEISURE, PLACES & HOME
Up cycling furniture
We’ve recently been making some home improvements and one of the rooms I wanted to turn into a ‘haven’ was our bedroom. As a complete change from our last house I went for a colour scheme of silver & black, done with a very modern and boutique feel. In our previous house I’d had a huge chest of drawers and dressing table custom made which I loved. The size and style were perfect but, being Ivory wood, it no longer worked in our new house. I like the look of mirrored furniture and have a few smaller pieces in our living room which looks fabulous but shows every speck of dust and finger print within minutes of being cleaned. I was also reluctant to get rid of these two pieces of furniture as, although faded and slightly discoloured, they were made so well and were still in fabulous condition plus we’d paid quite a lot of money for them. Tony is a trained joiner by trade, which is what he did in his early years after leaving school, so he’s very handy around the house along with being quite a perfectionist with any job he does (when he eventually gets round to doing it!!!!). He suggested getting an antique silver paint and painting the two pieces of furniture to fit in with our new bedroom, save a lot of money plus enable us to keep these two fabulous pieces. Tony has done such a good job and I’m thrilled with the results. It looks and feels like we have new furniture and fits in with our newly designed bedroom perfectly. It has made me see that up cycling can really give an amazing boost to old tired furniture and a fresh new feel to your home. I’m lucky to have a very handy husband who has done an extremely professional job on it too and, decorated and dressed with Kylie’s beautiful ‘Atmosphere’ bedding and curtain range I’m loving my newly finished bedroom/haven!!!!!
BEAUTY, HEALTH & STYLE
Teenage girls hair & beauty maintenance
Isabelle has just turned 13 and is increasingly showing more and more interest in makeup, clothes and looking good and at the moment she’s crazy about her hair looking good trying out new styles. A few girls in her year at school have recently had some colour or highlights in their hair which I’ve been reluctant to let her have up to now but she’s been nagging me for a few highlights for the summer and I’ve given in. We discussed it with our fabulous hairdresser Alison who assured me it would be subtle and just give it a warm lift which is did. It looks gorgeous and will look fabulous on holiday. She feels great and her hair looks in fabulous condition.
In my youth, home hair colour, & over plucked eyebrows done at home were as far as most hair & beauty treatments went so I was determined all Isabelle’s beauty maintenance treatments would be done professionally from the start to get into good habits. Her eyebrows have a lovely shape to them anyway but she just has them tidied at our beauty therapist at Koko beauty spa. She also had her eyelashes tinted for her dance/water photoshoot, again done by the professionals. I also introduced her to a good skin care range from quite early on to ensure she cares for and looks after her skin properly as you only get one skin. She’s meticulous about cleansing, to I g and moisturising which I’m delighted about and always wears a high factor sun cream on her face in the sun. If teenagers are introduced to good skin care, hair care and dental care routines young then hopefully they will take it with them all their lives.
COCKTAIL OF THE MONTH
less than 30 mins
The sweetness of strawberries and the kick of lime make this classic daiquiri a real crowd pleaser of a cocktail.
- 4 fresh strawberries, plus ½ strawberry to garnish
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 35ml/1½fl oz white rum
- 1 tbsp strawberry liqueur
- 25ml/1fl oz lime juice
- Place the strawberries, sugar, rum, strawberry liqueur and lime juice into the base of a cocktail shaker and mash (muddle) with the end of a clean rolling pin.
- Place the lid onto the cocktail shaker and shake well.
- Strain the mixture into a Martini glass and garnish with half a strawberry
BOOK OF THE MONTH
‘Still Me’ Jo Jo Moyles
I absolutely loved Me Before You and After You so I was delighted to read the first chapter of Still Me. Reading about Louisa is like meeting an old friend. I was hooked from the first sentence to the end of the book. It was lovely to find out that she is in New York starting a new job and still the same adorable character. Thank you Jojo Moyes for bringing Louisa back to us.
FILM OF THE MONTH
Set in Sacramento, California in 2002 Lady Bird is a coming of age story of a high school senior and her turbulent relationship with her mother. Lady Bird (Saoirse Ronan) is a precocious 17 year old on the brink of adulthood. She simply needs to survive the bumps of friendships, first Loves and her mother (Laurie Metcalf) before she leaves college and her life really begins.
I loved this film, it’s funny, beautiful, joyful, and a film I introduced my 13 year old daughter to. It’s the little moments in life that mean everything & mean nothing that shape us to being who we are whilst emerging into adulthood which this film portrayed just perfectly. I highly recommend this witty, warm & wonderful film.
THIS MONTH I’M LOVING
Holiday plans & shopping for our summer holiday in Spain
THIS MONTH I’M NOT LOVING
‘Love Island’!!! 🙄🙄🙄
THIS MONTHS FAVOURITES
- ‘Hey it’s ok’ podcast with Jo Elvin
- Pop ball Prosecco bubbles-adds some fun to my Prosecco!!
- ABBA on my playlist, the new Mamma Mia film just makes me fall in love with them all over again which I do every year! LOVE ABBA !
- Miss Selfridge. A bit young for me but some great pieces for young teenage girls & I’ve picked up some lovely clothes for Isabelle which are perfect for her age and tastes.
- John Frieda Blonde Go Blonder lightening shampoo & conditioner. As an originally natural blonde that is now ‘helped slightly!!’ John Friedas blonde range of shampoo, conditioner and sprays are perfect for keeping coloured hair in great condition whilst keeping the colour vital
THOUGHT FOR THE MONTH
‘A winner finds a way, a loser finds an excuse’