HELLO DECEMBER 2018
Never have I been so glad for a new month to start as this December. November has consisted of hours and hours of work with very little time for home life and my family which has been hard, so the next few weeks leading up to Christmas is all about my family and home life. I’m still working but last month I was doing up to 60 hours a week along with even more work at home and I need to focus on my children and Tony this month.
FABULOUS THINGS THAT HAPPENED LAST MONTH
- A lovely twilight spa evening with my mum at Titanic Spa in Huddersfield
- An amazing pamper day at Koko after a very hard month at work
- Getting back to my Pilates classes. Good for the soul and clearing the mind
- Getting the kids rooms decorated and newly carpeted ready for Christmas
- Fabulous exam, championship & competition successes in my Dance School
LIFESTYLE, LEISURE, PLACES & HOME
Getting the house ready for Christmas
On the first Sunday of December I had my first Sunday off in weeks so, after cleaning the house from top to bottom we got our collection of decorations out of the loft and got our house ready for Christmas. I love Christmas and I actually have 3 trees plus the kids both have one each in their room so we have a rather large collection of decorations. Our main tree is in the living room and this is known as ‘mums tree, do not touch’ !!! It is a gorgeous Ivory tree and the decorations are all beautiful in Ivory, gold and pale teal to match our living room decor.
I love this tree and I love our living room when it’s ready for Christmas. We then have a tree in our kitchen which is full of memories with decorations the kids have made over the years, ornaments I’ve collected from the many countries we’ve travelled to and decorations that hold a special place in my heart. It’s still lovely to look at with its lovely lights and bright colours.
I also added a new tree when we moved house as I wanted one in our hallway. This one is all decorated in purple and silver and looks lovely as you walk into the house. One of my favourite things at this time of year is the glorious Christmas scents and our house is full of Christmas diffusers, plug in air fresheners and Christmas candles. With twinkly lighting everywhere and our fire crackling and candles burning our house feels cosy and ready for the festive season ahead! Heaven! Where’s the mulled wine?
BEAUTY, HEALTH & STYLE
Time to look after myself
I’ve been so busy with work recently & along with being a wife and mum to two children my own health and well being has definitely taken a back seat. I’ve not been eating particularly well and I’ve certainly not been getting enough sleep. The first Monday in December was my first free day in a long time and I planned to give myself a little bit of ‘me time’. I’d received a voucher for Koko beauty spa for my birthday which I’d saved to treat myself with when my heavy work load had lifted a little. This way I could relax and appreciate it more and so I booked in for a full body massage and a facial. I had an amazing treatment and went home feeling fabulous and revitalised. A healthy chicken salad to get some goodness back in me followed by a lovely Neom bubble bath with my Neom candles lit, I started to feel more relaxed and back to myself again. There was work still waiting for me in the office but for one day I refused to do anything except relax, eat well and enjoy a few guilty pleasures including watching TV and a glass of crisp rose wine. Life is so busy and one big rush these days it’s so easy to keep going non stop trying to be everything to everybody and not have a minute to yourself. But every so often a bit of ‘me time’ is vital for the mind, body and soul and also regenerates you so you can cope with your work load and commitments better and be ‘more vital and more present’.
COCKTAIL OF THE MONTH
Mulled Wine Cocktails
The perfect party drink, as it can be made well ahead, then brought out of the fridge as guests arrive – or serve it hot for a traditional winter warmer
- 100g/4oz light muscovado sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 150ml water
- 1 lemon
- 2 clementines
- 150ml Cointreau
- 750ml/ 1¼pint bottle light red wine, such as Beaujolais
- Twist of orange zest and a star anise, to serve
- Put 100g light muscovado sugar in a pan with 1 star anise, 1 cinnamon stick, 4 cloves and 150ml water. Bring slowly to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Simmer for 2 mins, then pour into a large jug and leave to cool. Add 1 lemon and 2 clementines, both thinly sliced, to the jug along with 150ml Cointreau and a 750ml bottle light red wine, such as a Beaujolais. Stir well, then cover and chill for at least 2 hrs or overnight if you can.
- Serve chilled or over ice, with a twist of orange zest and a star anise. If you’d like to serve a traditional warm mulled wine, there’s no need to chill – simply warm through without boiling and serve in heatproof glasses.
BOOK OF THE MONTH
Zoë Sugg – Cordially Invited
I like Zoella, mainly because my daughter watches her videos and so I’ve watched them with her. I love entertaining and so any book with tips on entertaining for various different occasions appeals to me. As Zoella is a young twenty something who hasn’t had a family yet her entertaining style is a little different to mine so I’ll be giving the book to Isabelle. However, it’s aesthetically pleasing and written in an upbeat manner with some useful tips along the way.
FILM OF THE MONTH
On the 1st of December the kids and I had a night free so we decided to go to the cinema to watch our first Christmas Movie of this festive season, the new animated adaptation of The Grinch. A lovely film for all ages, it is beautifully animated and we all loved it!
THIS MONTH I’M LOVING
Tis the season to be jolly!!!!
THIS MONTH I’M NOT LOVING
Busy traffic, busy shops, queues queues queues everywhere!!!!!
THIS MONTHS FAVOURITES
- My new Christmas decorations from Matalan. I always like to add a few new decorations to my collection each year and I was very impressed by Matalans lovely range this year.
- Soap & Glory advent calendar. After getting Isabelle the Jack Wills advent calendar last year and being very disappointed, this calendar was much better value for money.
- Whispering Angel rose wine. Crisp and delicious!
- The mummy diaries with Sam & Billie Faiers returning to ITV Be
- ‘I’m a Celebrity’ is back woohoo! My mum and dad think it’s awful but I love it as it’s a time when Tony, me and the kids all sit down after Sunday dinner and watch it together. Family time at the end of a busy week
- Neom Christmas Wish candle with mandarin, cinnamon and Tonkin bean, just divine!
THOUGHT FOR THE MONTH